10 Tips For Moving House
This month, alongside running my A Rosie Life Pop Up Shop in The Covered Market, we moved house! This was a big move for us, both as we are getting on the property ladder, and moving away from our lovely neighbours and community on Magdalen Road in Oxford.
It’s been a busy time, but we managed to keep it as stress free as possible with these simple moving tips!
- Label up your boxes! This may seem like complete common sense, but it’s invaluable when you get into your new place. Colour coding your labels with the rooms in your house will make it even easier to get them to where they need to be, especially if you have helpers or removal men.
- Don’t over pack your boxes. The last thing you want to do is put your back out, so make sure you don’t put lots of heavy things in one box. If you have books and cushions to go into your new living room for instance, mix them into boxes with heavy items at the bottom.
3. Rationalise your belongings. Before you move go through cupboards, wardrobes and shelves and get rid of anything you don’t need. I took loads of clothes and home decs to Helen & Douglas House in Oxford to be re-homed!
4. Pack an essentials bag. Have a bag ready with a change of clothes and anything you might need for your 1st day and night in your new home so you can easily locate the items you need when you’re tired and weary from moving.
5. Make up a box for cleaning and odd jobs. Stock up on bathroom & kitchen cleaner, and have a tool kit at the ready for any small repairs and jobs you might need to do when you move. Don’t forget your feather duster for the tops of doors and hard to reach cobwebs!
6. Clean! If you can, clean your new place before you move in. We hired a dry carpet cleaner so we could clean and move our things in later that day without having to wait for the carpets to dry out. Remember to clean cupboards and wipe down walls and door handles.
7. Make up one room on the day you move. We made up the sitting room with our sofas and lots of comfy soft furnishings so we had somewhere to flake out away from piles of boxes on moving day.
Donna Wilson Cushions from a selection at Amara.
8. Have fresh towels and toiletries at the ready! Whether your using a moving company, friends or are moving yourself, moving house is hard work! As well as lots of lifting and carrying, there will be lots of dust kicked up from moving furniture. Make sure you give yourself some time to relax and unwind, and clean off some of that dust! Have towels and toiletries handy to in a clear plastic box so you can find them easily.
Towels from Christy Bathroom at Amara.
9. Change of address. Update your address as soon as possible. Remember loyalty cards, credit cards and your driving licence. I also added our new address in our Christmas cards for friends and family.
10. Decorate! The best thing about moving just before Christmas is making our new home cosy and festive with lots of beautiful decorations and of course the odd pompom or two as well! It’s a great way of making a new place, feel like your home.
Christmas decorations from the Christmas 2017 collection at Amara.
Moving house is a stressful process, but putting in a little planning can make your moving day so much easier.
I hope you find these tips useful!